Email is widely used for personal and business purposes. Due to this, there has been a spike in hacking attempts, especially to steal email password and gain access to a user’s account.
The most popular and common method is through phishing schemes, where hackers deceive email users by sending notice with fake links in the email, requesting users to verify his or her information.
Security is the most important keypoint in setting up an email server; even so, every email user is responsible in ensuring that the password to the email accounts are safe and secure.
Below are some tips for you to keep your email account secure.
- Use strong password that contains combination of numbers, alphabets and special characters. Avoid using passwords that may be readily guessed, such as abc123 or ones tied to your personal information, for example your name or email address.
- Do not give away your email password to anyone.
- Enable two-factor authentication if supported. An additional level of protection is provided by 2FA, such as a one-time password given to your cell phone.
- Be wary of strange and suspicious emails – Scammers often send links through email that seem real, fooling you into revealing private information or even your email password. The email may also potentially include attachments that infect your machine with malware if opened.
- Always verify the sender’s email address, subject line, and signature before opening an email attachment. Emails from unknown senders should be ignored.
- Avoid using public wi-fi to access your social media, banking, or any other accounts that need you to enter in your password. To steal and store user information, some hackers may set up a phoney WiFi hotspot.
- Do not install pirated software on your computer. Personal information may be stolen by viruses or spyware included in pirated software.
- Keep your software and operating system up to date.
- Avoid sharing same password among all email accounts.
Summary / Conclusion
Email account will remain secure for a long time, as long preventive measures are taken. Another way to protect email account is by resetting the email password from time to time. Please contact your email administrator if you require assistance to secure your email account.